I ❤ Bombay and honestly don’t need a reason to miss it! I miss it the most during hot & dry summers here. (Really, you miss perspiring? Unbelievable must you think J. I can see eyes balls rolling already :D!). One has got to be born there to feel the empathy and love of hot-humid weathers!
Summers were long and fun. I longed to eat Aai’s homemade Coffee ice cream & Mango ice cream. She made often during the summer holidays thanks to my tonsillitis (that made cold foods a taboo through the rest of the year as I would quickly fall sick). But thanks to her, I could enjoy homemade preservative free Ice Creams.
So here’s a recipe of a hassle-free, no techno-gadget friendly recipe of my Aai’s (mother’s) Coffee ice cream with a twist of Cinnamon added by me!
Ingredients: (10-12 servings)
- 5 litres 1% organic milk (approximately 0.39 gallons. Separate 1/4th cup milk from it and set aside).
- 1 can sweetened condensed milk. (short on time so used this,mom used to condense milk at home the traditional way)
- 3-4 tbsps. Nescafe (it is not too bitter).
- 2-3 tsps. Cinnamon powder.
- 3 tbsps. Vanilla Custard Powder.
- 3 tsps. Pure Vanilla Extract.
- 3 tbsps. Pure bourbon (Optional. I did not add it this time because kids were to eat it. However, it tastes great!).
- In a saucepan, bring the milk to boil.
- While it boils, add the ¼ cup milk in a cup and stir in all dry ingredients. Microwave for upto 1 minute or until the milk is lukewarm.
- Add vanilla extract to the lukewarm milk in the cup and mix well until frothy.
- Pour the liquid into the boiling milk.
- Keep stirring the mixture in the saucepan (over medium heat).
- Reduce the mixture until it begins to thicken (due to the custard powder).
- Set the pan off the flame (Switch the burner off :P, add the bourbon now and stir quickly if making alcoholic version).
- Pour into suitable cups or bowls and allow it to cool down.
- Place them in freezer uncovered.
- Fork them after 20 minutes and cover the bowls. (So, we don’t ice the cream totally and make it crunchy.)
- Few hours later, heaven on earth has just landed into your tummy! Top it with crisp cornflakes! Gives a good crunch to every bite.
Now some would be curious to know why I chose to use Nescafe when there are other sophisticated (dark-medium) coffee beans and powders available in the American market?
Aai always uses it and to my mind that’s the way it should be! There are recipes that are branded and then there are those that are Aai made (made by my mother). So apart from the addition of cinnamon (which was to elevate the coffee flavor and It did) nothing has been modified in the original recipe of my Aai.
I sincerely hope (& pray) that the coffee ice cream brings the love and affection of our nuclear families. The love that exists but we fail to express. And the reason for us to stay up is the late night chatter and never ending conversations with loved ones. Dinners I feel get the family together and desserts bond them! Do you agree? 🙂
I came across this beautiful quote by an unknown writer, “Conscience keeps more people awake than coffee” or so we hope (I must add).
May conscience be with all of us, active and alert as it ever could be!
Let it be clear and clutter free so we can reach out to the extent of mankind to heal, nurture, endure and love. Stay awake with a compassionate conscience and bowl of Coffee-Cinnamon Ice cream. And indulge guilt free with a clear conscience! The whole idea behind sharing the quote was pure Gluttony :P!